So why not add wild toppings to make your offerings more fun? Or try improved batters and over-the-top spreads that’ll make your customers grin? I’ve ironed out the best toppings, from savoury to sweet-plus a few unexpected ideas for wow-worthy waffles to get you started.
Waffles don’t necessarily need to be mounded with butter and sugary syrups to be delicious. Lighten them up with a whole-grain batter, fresh toppings and nutrient-rich ingredients and they go from weekend indulgence to weekday jump-starter. Try these toppings:
- Greek yoghurt with honey and blueberries
- Almond butter, sliced apples and honey
- Vanilla yoghurt, granola and raspberries
- Fried egg, avocado and pico de gallo
- Sliced kiwi, pineapple segments and toasted coconut
- Applesauce, cinnamon and chopped walnuts
Adding toppings that are completely over the top:
For those days where more is definitely more, load up your waffles with indulgent ingredients that you can sprinkle, drizzle and top to your customer’s heart’s content. They could be perfect for a special occasion or birthday.
- Chocolate sauce, caramel syrup, whipped cream, rainbow sprinkles, vanilla ice cream and a cherry to top it up.
- Marshmallow fluff, chocolate sauce and crumbled crackers
- Sliced bananas, hot fudge sauce, chocolate chips
- Nutella, sliced strawberries and with some pistachios
- Crushed pineapple, sweetened shredded coconuts and macadamia nuts
- Bananas, bacon strips, peanut butter
- Fried chicken avocado, salsa and jalapeno syrup
- Macaroni and cheese with bacon cubes
- Cream cheese, lox and capers
- Italian bacon, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.